The ideal person for this job has at least three years’ experience as a story editor (either in print or online) and knows the basics of copyediting and fact-checking. Rookie is a fast-growing but small operation; we work independently and remotely. Applicants should be very comfortable working from home, with minimal infrastructure and little management from the editorial team. You’ll be in charge of managing your own time and workload, while helping us manage deadlines for about 70 freelance contributors. We’re looking for someone who learns new skills and protocols quickly and who enjoys solving problems on their own. This is a full-time contract position, with a possibility of becoming a salaried position down the line.
What you’ll be doing for Rookie:
• editing, copyediting, and fact-checking stories
• pitching stories, monthly editorial themes, and other kinds of content
• writing headlines and subheads
• publishing content in WordPress
• organizing and managing deadlines for each month’s editorial calendar
• managing deadlines for writers, illustrators, and photographers
• reviewing and editing submissions from readers
• helping to edit pieces for our annual print publication
• pitching contributions from and interviews with interesting people doing interesting work
• being on the lookout for outside content and new contributors for the site
• very light photo editing on occasion
• light social media
If this sounds like you, please send the following to email@example.com, with the subject line EDITOR APPLICATION:
2. An email including:
• A critique of the site: what you like, what you don’t, and why. What should we do more of? What should we do less of? What new kinds of things would you like to see on Rookie? (Specific examples are welcome.)
• 2 ideas for posts: These can be for any type of content (an essay, an interview, a video series, a short story, an excerpt, or just a specific writer you think we should work with).
• 1 idea for a monthly theme: Let us know how you see the theme being expressed aesthetically, and what that month’s stories might include.
• Links to your social media pages (Tumblr, Twitter, etc.) and to your blog, if you have one.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: May 31.